Sunday, November 20, 2005
Solitude and Drapers Meadows
Solitude Plantation was built in 1803 on land acquired by the Preston family from Phillip Barger. It occupies the portion of Drapers Meadow where the 1755 Massacre occured. During the attack by Shawnee Indians, Mary Draper Ingles was taken captive and marched along the New River hundreds of miles to the Shawnee Old Town at present day Portsmouth, Ohio.